free invisible hit counter Becoming the all-round poker player

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

TUE 17th OCT - UPDATE

Since Saturday I have really started playing a little bit more, which I am pleased with. However, I am still not playing as much as I should be. It seems at the moment, I can only play NL cash tables for about 1h30 before feeling like I've had enough. Will really have to try and motivate myself and keep concentration for longer session and/or play more sessions.

I have also set up a new account with RB at FullTiltPoker. For many months, I have had the FTP software downloaded and have been impressed by the site as a whole. So, as the future of the party games are a little unstable at the moment, I thought I would branch out. Also, they have a good array of MTTs, so I will be able to add one or two tables of them when I'm in an MTT session. When you sign up to FTP you also get a $600 bonus. I am currently paying that off, but remember that doesn't toward my roll, and so is a nice bit of spending money.

NL CASH - $25NL

Hands (Total): 2845 (7511)
$ won (Total): +$180.55 (+$578.88)
Current BR: $1078.88

Don't really have too many hands to mention this time, and I guess that can only be a good thing. I'm thinking a little more about the 3rd barrel in some situations. Generally, it is thought to be a -EV play, but I think if you can read an opponent well for an OESD or FD, or even read a good player with 2nd pair or TPMK at these levels, it can be profitable. It also helps when you do fire that third barrel and hit a 5 outer to suck out.

My impressions of Full Tilt have so far been positive. After downloading their program I searched around 2+2 to try and find some support software. I was extremely pleased with the fulltiltbuddy and fulltiltwatch AHK scripts that I found at www.overcards.com/wiki. However, the latter of these two programs is no longer compatible with FTP after their new update, which sucks a little. Isn't an essential program, but a useful one for following the fish. Finally, their bonus does seem pretty easy to clear, at $25NL it seems to clear at about $10/1000 hands. Nice little side earner.

So, if I can continue to avoid running badly, and get some more hands in, I might be at the stage to move up to $50NL by my next report or, more likely, the one after. Only $172 to earn.

STTs - $11s

Games (Total): 0 (24)
$ won (Total): 0 (+$22)
Current BR: $572

Haven't played any. A little disinterested by them at present and with Party's recent problems they are only available in the evenings. When they do recapture my interest, I will look at PokerStars more carefully as they seem to be the only site for 12 tabling to be a viable option.

MTTs - $11s

Games (Total): 10 (66)
$ won (Total): +$21.68 (+$151.17)
Current BR: $701.17

Only played one session of MTTs since Saturday. And it was pretty mixed. My first 11 OOTM. Then came a $5 at Absolute Poker. Turned out this event was a rebuy, which I didn't realise, but as I already registered, I decided to play it properly and rebuy as was required. Turned out I never needed to and took the double add-on at the end of the rebuy period. Again, absolutely pwned the bubble and went from ~11000 to ~30000 without a showdown. Then, just before the final table, AQ>44, which was pleasant and I went into the FT in 2nd. By the time we were down to 5, I was practically joint second. 4th and 5th place weren't desperately short and the CL was playing pretty scared.

Then, this hand occurred. Here's my reasoning. Pre-flop every was pretty tight and a 6000 raise was often taking down the pot. However, I had down this quite a lot from the button in the last few orbits and I think my FRANKFOLDS may have been getting a little suspicious. Hence, I thought his flat call could be any suited broadway or maybe a low to middle PP.

On the flop, I was ready to shut down. However, both players had always bet out their good hands since I'd been on their table, which was down from 27 players. I had no reason to believe that a reasonable CTN bet wouldn't take this down. However, when I was called I thought my opponent must have a flush draw or a set.

However, when he check/called I became a little confused. The pot was offering him only 2:1 on a flush draw so calling with that seemed strange there. I thought perhaps a badly played set was another option.

Then he checks the river. Now I'm really confused. I was really tempted to push here. Surely a set would check the river. He couldn't have played any straights like this. Flush draw didn't make it.

Unfortunately, I bottled it. I was too scared of the king as with so much committed I didn't think my opponent could fold any king. I could only push for ~35,000 giving him 3:1 on the call. I was also worried my initial read may have been incorrect and that I would be pushing into a really strangely played AA-JJ which he would call with.

I would really like to know everyone's thoughts on this river. Can I push this? Is he folding enough hands to make it worthwhile. Note that I still have 35,000 chips if I check behind, which is about equal with the other two shorties.

After a mini revival after, with a BB special, 92 on a Q92 flop with a 2 on the turn, I managed to get back into it. But never really enough to take it down. I busted 3rd (for ~$100) when 88 was beaten by AQ after getting all-in preflop. Can't complain really. Certainly needed a score after the terrible session I was on.

Overall, I think my MTT game is by far my weakest. I spent many many hours reading and writing posts in the STTF of 2+2 and have watched almost all of Green Plastic's cardrunners NL cash videos. However, I really haven't spent much time working on my MTT game. I have read HOH I&II but think my next focus should be to buy volume 3 and start to post and read more in the MTTF of 2+2.

Total BR: $2352.05


I'm going to have to take a little time off in the next few days to really speed up the applications for proper jobs (which I still don't really want, lol) so my volume may suffer a little. We'll see. Will update on Thursday night.

skegvegaspoker

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home